Thursday, November 13, 2008

Boise State University Entrance Exam

It's rivalry week. No, not BYU-Utah (that's next Saturday). I mean Boise State-Idaho. Ever since I was at the U of I and Trevor was at BSU in the early 90s this has been a family affair, and to be honest this rivalry is just as intense and even mean-spirited in Idaho as the BYU-Utah game can be in Utah. Now that Tate has a BSU degree and Taggart also attended there, Rosy and I have become outnumbered. But we remain loyal.

With all of that in mind, I wanted to post a little gem I read earlier this week. It's the BSU entrance exam, and all potential students must pass it to gain entrance. And if you Castleton BSU alumni have an inkling to get your feelers hurt by reading this, just remember the following: consider BSU's record in football the last 10 years vs. the UI's, and the fact that your presidential candidate just won. I think you'll be OK.


________________________________________

BSU College Entrance Exam

Thank you for chusing Boise State University, Idaho's premear College. Entrants must get at least half of the questions correct to become inrolled at BSU.
Good Luck


Time Limit: 3 WKS

Name: _____________________________

1. What language is spoken in France?

2. Give a dissertation on the ancient Babylonian Empire with
particular reference to architecture, literature, law and social
conditions -OR- give the first name of Pierre Trudeau.

3. Would you ask William Shakespeare to
___ (a) build a bridge
___ (b) sail the ocean
___ (c) lead an army or
___ (d) WRITE A PLAY

4. What religion is the Pope?
___ (a) Jewish
___ (b) Catholic
___ (c) Hindu
___ (d) Polish
___ (e) Agnostic
(check only one)

5. Metric conversion. How many feet is 0.0 meters?

6. What time is it when the big hand is on the 12 and the little hand
is on the 5?

7. How many commandments was Moses given? (approximately)

8. What are people in America's far north called?
___ (a) Westerners
___ (b) Southerners
___ (c) Northerners

9. Spell: Bush, Carter, and Clinton
Bush: ____________________________________________
Carter: __________________________________________
Clinton: __________________________________________

***Extra Credit: Spell Obama
___________________________________________

10. Six kings of England have been called George, the last one being
George the Sixth. Name the previous five:

11. Where does rain come from?
___ (a) Macy's
___ (b) a 7-11
___ (c) Canada
___ (d) the sky

12. Can you explain Einstein's Theory of Relativity?
___ (a) yes
___ (b) no

13. What are coat hangers used for?

14. The Star Spangled Banner is the National Anthem for what country?

15. Explain Le Chateliers Principle of Dynamic Equilibrium -OR- spell
your name in BLOCK LETTERS.

16. Where is the basement in a three story building located?

17. Which part of America produces the most oranges?
___ (a) New York
___ (b) Florida
___ (c) Canada
___ (d) Wisconsin

18. Advanced math. If you have three apples, how many apples do you have?

19. How many letters are in the word "sternocleidomastoid"?

20. What is your favorite color?

21. How many days are in a 5 day work week?

22. In what year did the BSU Broncos win the 2007 Fiesta Bowl?

23. Check the three trick plays the BSU Broncos used in the 2007 Fiesta Bowl?
____(a) the hook and lateral
____(b) the halfback pass
____(c) the statute of liberty

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I don't really have a position on the BSU/UofI rivalry. U of I law school wait-listed me once and then accepted me first round the next time I applied, so they're even with me now. Plus, I just inherited the No. 2 team in the nation so you know I'm riding that wagon as far as it will take me (hurray for Texas Tech's MBA for working professionals program which gives me legitimate claim to a football team that doesn't blow chunks). I kind of think I deserve it though after being stuck with USU for so long.

Anyway, just wanted to see how you neo-con right-wingers were holding up after the blowout election. To be honest with you, I'm happy and sad that Obama won. Happy because the world would have surely ended had McCain won, but sad to see Sarah Palin fade back into obscurity. I'll miss the ridiculous hick speeches, the Hank Williams Jr. appearances, the winks, the foreign relations expertise, and the perspective of "real" America that she always gave me.

Hope all is well with you guys. Have fun watching the big game and keep in touch.

Bryant P. Castleton said...

I do remember my senior year when Fred's dad flew his plane to Boise for a business meeting and Fred and I decided to ride along and go for a campus visit to BSU to see if we would be interested in attending there.

We did ask about entrance requirements and I believe the response was something akin to "so long as your check clears your good". : >

Seriously though, I do have many fond memories of BSU (youth legislature, Hugh O'Brien, Idaho Business Week, etc.) and hey - I doubt I could get into my alma mater any more so I guess I shouldn't joke!

Trevor said...

I just took the exam, Bruce, and I'm proud to report that I got 80% correct! :) Seriously, pretty funny. My feelers are just fine.

I have to say I was surprised to check my Blackberry on Saturday to learn the halftime score in our heated rivalry game was 17-10 for BSU. I about died. Apparently, there was some locker room "pep talk" from Coach Pete that redirected the team to a convincing victory. But the Vandals had me going there for a minute.

Hope you are well. Peace.

Anonymous said...

I have to admit I was even kinda cheering for U of I on Saturday when it was 17- 10 at half time. I wanted to see some BSU fans get a little humbled seeing how so many here in Boise were excited when BYU lost. I'm been a little bitter!
Emily

Heather said...

You guys make us laugh!! Thanks for the great birthday comment for Brent, it has kept us laughing over and over! Hope all is well out there in Boise! I guess it's our turn to go at it with my family about the BYU/U game, maybe I'll wait to see who wins.

B said...

U R Kidding Me